|Flatiron Building, Designated Provincial Resource|
Hours of Operation
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tuesday to Saturday
10:00 am - 3:00 pm
The Flatiron building in Lacombe was built in 1904 and served as the Merchants Bank of
Today, the main floor and basement of this architectural landmark is home to an Interpretive Centre which showcases exhibits and displays illustrating aspects significant to the history of Lacombe. The exhibits are organized by the Lacombe & District Historical Society. The Flatiron Building is operated by Lacombe Regional Tourism and provides tourism information about the region.
An exhibit of photographs from the local archives will be on display for the 2018 spring and summer season. The photographs depict the early development of the community of Lacombe from 1896 to the 1930s.
Building is the City of ’s most
recognizable architectural structure. Built in 1904, it is the older of two
flatiron buildings that exist in the Lacombe . The other
flatiron building is located in province
and is known as the Gibson Block. Edmonton
Flatiron buildings receive their name from their corner-block shape, which resembles the triangular shape of an old fashioned flat iron. A rare kind of structure, Lacombe’s Flatiron building follows the same type of architectural design as the
Building in that was built just two years
before in 1902. New York
Building in Lacombe was designed in
1903 by two architects from Montreal named Hogle
and Davis and was home to Lacombe’s first bank, the Merchants Bank of .
The bank was established in 1901 and before moving into this building had
operated from a rented schoolroom as well a room in the Canada .
This building is a fine example of early twentieth century Edwardian Classical Revivalist architecture. It is Edwardian and not Victorian due the time of its construction and the very masculine and neo-classical style in which it is built. This architectural style was commonly used for banks, courts, government buildings, and similar establishments wanting to convey a sense of power and stability through architecture.
Here in Lacombe, it greatly assisted the newly built bank to convince individuals that their money would be safe when stored in their coffers.
Between 1903 and 1919, Hogle and Davis, the two architects that designed this building, worked together to design a number of Merchant Bank branches across the country. The branch that was built in
, shares the same
Classical Revivalist style as the Flatiron, but not its triangular shape.
Today, it is home to the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce. Winnipeg
In 1922, the Merchants Bank of
Canada was absorbed by the Bank of Montreal,
which changed the fate of many prominent buildings across . In Lacombe, the Canada was occupied by the Bank of
Montreal’s local branch until 1967, and subsequently it was occupied by a
variety of tenants and businesses including legal offices, medical offices, a
rooming house, and an antiques store. Flatiron Building
This building was designated as a Provincial Historic Resource by the Alberta Government in 1990, and was carefully restored in 2002 by the present owner. As the tallest, most prominent and uniquely shaped building on
Street, the Flatiron’s facade is a well-known
landmark that has come to represent Lacombe’s historic downtown.
- Lacombe's Hockey History
- Reflections on Vimy
- Lacombe Community Memory Project (Canada 150)
- Catalysts for Change: Local Women and the Suffrage Movement
- The Origins of Lacombe's Dutch Community
- WWI Lest We Forget: Our Brave Hearts 1914-1918
- I Love Main Street
- Curling in Lacombe
- Prairie Puzzles
- Gull Lake's early years
- The Girl Guides Through Time
- Celebrating 110 years of History: The Lacombe Police Service
- A History of Dairy Farming in Lacombe
- Christmas Village Installation
- Winter Sports in Lacombe
Past themes on display:
- Pioneers and significant people in Lacombe’s history
- Renovation of the Flatiron building
- The Fires of Lacombe
There is also a small theatre and meeting room in the basement that can be booked for meetings and events. Please call (403) 755-6935 for information.